Javascript is vital for the advanced features in this website such as Property Search. Please enable or upgrade your browser

Gas Safety

Your landlord is obliged to provide you with a copy of a current Gas Safety Inspection Certificate.
Unsafe gas appliances produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness

Being aware of the symptoms could save your life.

Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to flu, food poisoning, viral infections and simply tiredness. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very dangerous poisoning for something else.

Other signs that could point to carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Your symptoms only occur when you are at home.
  • Your symptoms disappear or get better when you leave home and come back when you return.
  • Others in your household (including your pets) are experiencing symptoms and they appear at a similar time

What should I do if I experience any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Get fresh air immediately.

Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.

See your doctor immediately or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check.

If you think there is immediate danger, call the Northern Ireland Gas Emergency Service 0800 002 001.  Get a Gas Safe registered engineer to inspect your gas appliances and flues to see if there is a dangerous problem.